top of page

Licensing Variances for Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth

For some transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) youth in the child welfare and juvenile justice systems, housing based on gender identity is safer and healthier than housing based on sex as assigned at birth. In these cases, a variance can be requested to help meet the child's individual needs.

Pride Flag

If you are involved in placing youth in care in the state of Michigan and are looking for more information about the licensing variance process for transgender and gender nonconforming youth, check out this FAQ.

To request a variance, review the MDHHS Communication Issuance on Gender Variance here and send the appropriate variance request form to the Division of Child Welfare Licensing Program Manager

bottom of page